Tuesday, July 19, 2011

4 Senegalese Women + Misery Loves Company+ Role Models

(Oops. This was sitting in my drafts for 2 weeks)

I sat in the chair for 13 hours to get my waist-length microbraids completed.

13.
Hours.

Of listening to 4 women from Senegal bicker, argue and chat in their language. In the midst of it, I thought..."Damn, my job is not so bad.

Working with all women in a small space is challenging. Saturday, I went in to work and my boss was on my ass about my hair and the way I was dressed. I didn't wear my lab coat because it was filthy so I left it home.

Oh em gee. You would've thought I cussed a customer. She "coached" me on it for 2 hours. And then she kept saying my hair was a problem.

I was told in training that I could wear my black Keds to work because although they're" athletic shoes," they're all black with no writing or insignias. Suddenly on Saturday, that was a problem.

Like..I was going to go buy some shoes.

Uhm..no.

Then...she made me read and sign a document saying that I read the dress code.

It felt like....I came in to work in a decent mood and this lady did all she could to wipe the smile off my face.

I was so pissed. I asked my coworker.."Am I supposed to wear a filthy coat?" She said yes. And don't act all happy because that gives people room to attack you. How sad is that shit?

*sigh*

I'm learning a lot and I'm just keeping in mind that its definitely a stepping stone. Everything else...just let it roll off my back.

I'm officially the Assistant Lead Servant of the Dance Ministry at my church. People are referring to me as a leader and we had a meeting and there were expectations and such.

What?!

Lol. No its good but the actual leader keeps saying she's grooming me to take over the ministry in 2 yrs. Hunh? What???

Leaders in the church are always held at a higher standard...a standard of which I'm not sure I can meet.

Like...I would have to go to the extra services I skip out on and I'd be a recognizable face and people will ask me questions and I'd be a role model for the younger girls.

I didn't sign up for that. I want to be a delinquent. (Not really)

I don't drink (that much) or smoke or club. I tithe. I don't miss that many Sundays. But the pressure.

Talking to the leader of the ministry in a sister to sister way...it requires such a commitment and I know I can do I but I'm honored and blown away.

I also need to choreograph more and choose songs. Wow.

1 comment:

Miss♥K said...

Wow. I used to be in dance ministry- hard work!!! for real!!! congrats but I can def see the added pressure in it.