Friday, September 12, 2008

Parenting...on the Subway

I was on the train this morning and I saw this [black] lady with a little kid who was no more than 2 years old. 2 is being generous in the age department. The kid wanted candy. She didn’t have any. He cried.

She was screaming at the kid, “Shut the fuck up. Shut the fuck up. I’m going to choke the fuck outta your ass.”

Pause.

I immediately walked away.

This [white] dude came and was like. “I’m gonna choke the fuck outta your ass. He’s a child.”

[Black] dude chimed in and was like, “Yo, don’t say shit to her.”

She was like, “Yo son, you don’t want it. This is mine. This is mine.”

[White] dude was like, “He’s a child.”

He started singing a lullaby and the kid quieted. The lady was like “You so fucking spoiled.”

I just shook my head.


I know it is not my place to tell a mother how to raise her child. But, that was serious. I don’t like stepping in on situations like that because the person who tries to intervene is always the one getting jumped on. But…come on! And think it…when no ones around she probably does worse.

5 comments:

Young woman on a journey said...

that is absolutely horrible! horrible. i'm sure she does worse. If there is one thing i like about white people, even though it gets annoying, they don't know how to mind their business. and in some situations, you shouldn't have to mind your business. especially when it makes the difference between doing the right thing or not. to say that to a child, your child, is deplorable.

poison.ivy said...

WOW!!!!
that is the only word i can muster.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

i find that people without kids always have the most to say? do u have children

Janelle said...

Torrance are you implying that there's an instance when "Shut the fuck up. Shut the fuck up. I’m going to choke the fuck outta your ass.” is an appropriate thing to say to a two year old? Or to anyone for that matter?

I have a child. She's five she's hyperactive, she's an only child, she talks alot, she's touchy feely, she's moody, she's not afraid to voice her opinion, she's smarter than any 5 year old You know, I'm a single mom, I'm stressed, I have NO help, I feel overwhelmed and unappreciated and I would never tell my daughter "shut the fuck up" That's absurd. I hardly ever have to raise my voice at her or even say more than her name.

Chris said...

That person should've been kicked in the spine...they shouldn't get the right to bear children...