Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My Life: The Great Monet

He called this morning as I was getting dressed for the day. He has a knack for catching me off guard.

"I want to hang out," I said.

"I don't hang out. I don't want to spend money. "

"I didn't ask you to spend money. We can do free things around the city."

"Well, what do you want to do?"

"I'm not sure. We'll figure something out. Have you ever been to Roosevelt Island?"

"No."

"Oh ok...it'll be fun."

Blah blah blah...Friday night. On one hand, I'm excited. Its an actual date...the last one I was on, didn't end so well...but, I'm kinda turned off.

Yes, its a recession. Yes, I applaud the black man for saving his money to get to where he wants to go but...I feel like he's put me in this category because he thinks I like ballers. Or it could be this pedestal where he feels like that's what I deserve.

At the same time, if you don't have it...be creative if this is something or someone you want.

Either way, I've got some questions for him. I am willing to put in the effort but I've been there before and I'm not about to go back to a one-sided relationship, a fwb situation is out of the question and I'm really not down for the bullcaka...

I asked my friend what she thought.

She said: Hmmm. I can understand why you'd be turned off. Even if you prove you're not that kind of chick, it's still going to be in the back of his head. He has to become secure in himself. He's obviously insecure not just b/c of the type of woman he thinks you are, but in himself not being able to do and have the life he wants or feels he should have

Me: So what do you suppose I do? Leave it alone?

Friend: That would be for you to decide. If you're getting turned off now, maybe that is a red flag for you. Take all flags as a lesson. When you have to question, it might not be for you...

Me: True. Its in such a pretty package, I want it to be!

We'll see....
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

3 comments:

Trish said...

I agree with your friend. I also believe that if a man really wants you he'll make an effort whether he's broke or not. We(women)sometimes make it too easy for men and then they never fully step up to the plate.

Young woman on a journey said...

i echo trish, but again, the decision is yours. lmao at the pretty package.

belle said...

i think he didnt want to hang out. his first reaction was "i dont hang out".
i dont see how you read that as "you're too good for me"... women...smh.