Thursday, November 20, 2008

Husband Material

I sat in Cat's car talking about pageant stuff with the heat blowing. I saw him outside talking to a woman in a car.

"Marshall?" I stared in disbelief. The last time I saw him, he was visiting his mother from some far away place - Atlanta, Alabama - somewhere. He was with his girlfriend. Needless to say our conversation was very short.

I was immediately transported to a summer night impromptu cookout with my family. We were in the middle of a card game. I spotted him from the top of the driveway. I watched him walk, my mouth agape.

"Hey Marshall!" my cousin broke my gaze.

"Hey Cuz. Nina, how are you?"

I could only muster a wave.

My entire family didn't even wait for him to go inside before they laughed.

"Ni, close your mouth," my mother scolded.

Is it cliche to say I had a crush on the boy next door?

Boy is now a man and was materialized in front of me. I still had my mouth hanging open as I did before.

I waved to him. He looked confused.
He walked over to me.

"Girl, you better get out the car and give me a hug. "

I obliged.

He felt like a big teddy bear.

We chatted for a second. He's back home (!!!) His mom isn't doing so well.

I gave him my number.

I got back in the car.

"Damn Ni...that's husband material right there."

"Yup. Aussie better watch his back."

We both laughed knowing on some level it was true.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments: