Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Robbing the Wheelchair

A few days ago, (Thursday to be exact) BFF and I were walking toward the Brooklyn Bridge. She was convincing me to risk my life and walk across...I was displaying a little bitch-assnness in telling her over my dead body. In the midst of that, I made eye contact with the corniest dude. He smiled. I smiled. I don't know why. I think I was just geeked over someone showing me some attention. I crossed the street and proceeded to keep walking. He stopped, crossed the stret and introduced himself.

";Hi, I'm Leroy," he said as I noticed the salt and pepper goatee.

"I'm Nina." We shook hands

"Gosh Nina," he gushed, "you are just so beautiful. I would love to get to know you better."

He gave me a business card with his cell written on the back and he took my number.BFF got me across the bridge and we laughed about my encounter. Dude is "creased khaki pants" corny and I'm Rihanna-type edgy.

"How old you think that guy is?" I asked BFF.

"Shoot! I dunno. Obviously not in his 20s like you."
We laughed.

Friday, I wanted to shoot someone. We were understaffed, yet again. Prom season is kicking our ass. Problems, problems, problems and I was trying to remain patient. I was supposed to leave work at 4pm.

It was 5:30 and I was still handling a situation. My phone rings.

"Hi, Nina?"

Immediately, I knew who it was.

"It's Leroy. I was wondering if we could meet after work."

"Sure. I'm gonna run out of the door soon."

We met in Lower Manhattan and strolled to Southstreet Seaport. We talked and laughed. The whole time, I'm thinking "He's so corny."

But, Eureka! I kinda like him.

He's 40.

I'm 22.

It doesn't seem to bother him and it doesn't bother me.

Except.

He wants kids and while I hadn't even thought about kids at least for another 10 years, I don't want him to waste his time. But I bet he knows what he's getting into. The thought still lingers in the back of my mind.

I told LP, Gi, and Twin about it last night. I could've predicted how each of them reacted. It was priceless. Gi was excited that I found someone who treats me well. Who actually wants to date me unlike some people. LP immediatelty went defensive. She was like "he's old enough to be your daddy" and "be careful." I understood her concern but I thought it was a little rude and it offended me. I've been trying to be slow to anger. My temper has been out of control lately. Twin saw humor in the situation. He said, "Geez Ni, they're getting older an older. 23..then 27..then 33..now 40. What's next? He's gonn abe on oxygen?"

This morning as I'm walking to the train station, this Jeep pulls up beside me. I look to see who's creeping up on me. All I saw was a full head of gray hair and a full beard - all gray.

I shook my head and laughed.

1 comment:

Liz said...

well they say opposites attract! give it a chance! at the very least you should at least get a few good dinners out of it!